Stocks

60 Stock Market Statistics & Facts

Despite the present day bull marketplace — the longest in history — many individuals are reluctant to make investments their difficult-earned coins inside the inventory market. There exists a variety of circumstances at play right here, which include poor reports at some stage in the 2008 financial crisis, poor finances and an even just a lack of financial education.

The stock marketplace is continuously in flux, making it hard to pinpoint the most updated facts, so we curated this information to offer a stock market precis — the whole lot from the size of the worldwide stock marketplace and the unique companies/countries that make it as much as the individuals who make investments in the stock market.

Global Market by Way of the Numbers

Nearly all international locations take part in a worldwide stock change that allows for both nearby and global companies to be traded. The quantity of traded companies varies, generally proportionately to the size of the country, yet can differ from a couple hundred to as many as a couple thousand. The stock marketplace reputation can vary at any given time, but here are some current data regarding the worldwide stock market.

  • The global marketplace capitalization has exceeded $80 trillion — a 320 percent increase from $25 trillion in 2009.
  • Analysts at Goldman Sachs are expecting that the global marketplace cap will retain heading closer to hundred trillion dollars.
  • 2017 listed the first time in past that a calendar year passed without a monthly drop in an all-country record.
  • Excellent appearing fundamental indices from the final twenty years (1998–2018)
  • NASDAQ 100: 468%
  • S&P 500 with 158%
  • German DAX: 163%
  • Dow Jones Industrial Average: 191%
  • World stock market top by country (Top 10) 
  • United States: 40.01%
  • Switzerland: 2.03%
  • Japan: 7.59%
  • United Kingdom: 4.49%
  • Germany: 2.91%
  • China: 7.51%
  • France: 3.23%
  • India: 2.83%
  • Hong Kong: 6.51%
  • Canada: 2.81%
  • Over 93 percent of the global stock value is divided between three continents. 
  • There are 60 most important stock exchanges in the world.
  • Sixteen stock exchanges all have a business capitalization of over $1 trillion, considering for 87 percent of the worldwide marketplace capitalization.
  • Predominant stock exchanges using marketplace capitalization (Top 10)
  • NYSE (New York Stock Exchange): 24,220 billion
  • Euronext: 4,649
  • NASDAQ: 11,860
  • Japan Exchange Group: 6,288
  • Shanghai Stock Exchange: 5,023
  • Deutsche Börse: 2,339
  • Hong Kong Stock Exchange: 4,443
  • London Stock Exchange Group: 4,596
  • Shenzhen Stock Exchange: 3,547
  • Bombay Stock Exchange: 2,298
  • Stock exchanges at the tiny islands of Cyprus, Malta and Bermuda all variety from merely $1 billion to $4 billion in value. Even added together, those three exchanges make up just 0.01% of global marketplace capitalization.

US Stock Market Statistics

Unsurprisingly, the US stock market is the most essential and maximum expensive in the world. Despite this, the US economy is not the most productive. China has passed the USA because of the most productive economy in the world with a $23 trillion GDP in comparison to the $19 trillion US GDP. Here are a few vital statistics concerning US stock marketplace.

  • The U.S. stock marketplace makes up the most significant percent of the sector stock marketplace capitalization at 40 percent.
  • The US business cover 32.121 trillion since 2017. 
  • The US stock marketplace is currently the most high-priced in the world with a Cyclically Adjusted Price-Earnings (CAPE) Ratio of 30.
  • The US homes most uncomplicated 17% of the sector’s shares that means US businesses are a great deal more massive on average.
  • The US exchanges (NASDAQ & NYSE) combined makeup 39 percent of the total international stock market value, more significant than the next seven transfers collectively (Canada, China, Japan, Euronext, Hong Kong, and London.)
  • The NYSE itself is higher than the world’s 50 smallest most important stock exchanges.

Statistics by Industry

The stock market nowadays is ruled through tech giants like Amazon and Apple. However, it hasn’t usually been that manner. The stock market is infamous for its cyclical sample of bubbles accompanied using crashes like the dot-com bubble and US housing bubble, however here are the current industries and companies dominating the marketplace.

  • The US market place’s biggest zone is the technology sector, which accounts for 26 percent of the whole value.
  • The technology sector has improved 16 percent in view that earlier than the 2008 financial crisis.
  • World stock market by sector 
  • Healthcare: 12.9%
  • Financials: 16.3%
  • Industrials: 11.3%
  • Consumer discretionary: 12.6%
  • Energy: 6.5%
  • Information technology: 19.1%
  • Consumer staples: 8.1%
  • Utilities: 2.9%
  • Materials: 4.7%
  • Telecommunication services: 2.6%
  • Real estate: 2.9%

BY COMPANY

  • The ten most prominent corporations in the world by business value in billion US dollars (as of June 2018) 
  • Facebook: 541.5
  • Amazon.com: 777.8
  • Alibaba: 499.4
  • Apple: 926.9
  • Microsoft: 750.6
  • Alphabet: 766.4
  • JPMorgan Chase: 387.7
  • Berkshire Hathaway: 491.9
  • Exxon Mobil: 344.1
  • Tencent Holdings: 491.3
  • The worldwide top one hundred groups have a market capitalization of $20.04 billion — a 15 percent growth year over year.
  • Earlier than the financial crisis, the maximum precious companies on the stock market were General Electric, AT&T, Microsoft, and ExxonMobil. Now it is all generation organizations: Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Google.
  • Amazon’s market assessment passed $1 trillion dollars on September 4, 2018.
  • Apple is the world’s maximum treasured public enterprise, and it has become the primary company to strike a $1 trillion cost on August 2, 2018.
  • Analysts at Goldman Sachs venture that stock repurchases will attain $1 trillion this year, up 46 percent from 2017 on the again of tax reform and strong company cash flows
  • Share buybacks increased the 2.2% interest yield to a normal of 3.5% by connection with market capitalization.
  • August tends to be the maximum favorite month for proportion buybacks.
    A complete of $704 billion has been allotted to shareholders using the top 100 companies.

Historical Overview

  • There have been 18 economic returns in the past 100 years — equating one each 5 and a half years, aligning to the enterprise cycle of four years.
  • Only recessions have passed off in the past 20 years — 2000 to 2002 and 2008 to 2009 — making the extra current average one every ten years.
  • Worst stock market years by percent loss 
  • 1931: 47.0%
  • 1937: 38.6%
  • 2008: 38.6%
  • 1974: 29.7%
  • 1930: 28.5%
  • 2002: 23.4%
  • Best stock market years by percent bounce
  • 1933: 46.6%
  • 1954: 45.0%
  • 1935: 41.4%
  • 1958: 38.1%
  • 1927: 37.9%
  • 1995: 34.1%
  • August 22, 2018, marked the most extended bull market in history at 3,453 days (more or less 10–year run)
  • Before 2018, the record for most extended bull marketplace turned into all through the dot-com boom and next bust clocking in at 3,452 days.
  • Since 1980, 40 percent of shares fell at least 70 percent, ensuing in a “catastrophic loss,” and lots of in no way recovered.
  • Stocks have increased 1,100-fold across the past 70 years.
  • Stock market correction statistics 
  • On an assigned day, stocks have roughly a 53% chance of rising and a 47% risk of dropping.
  • Over any provided 3-month period, stocks rise 68% of the time, dropping the other 32% of the period.
  • Over an average 12-month period, the chances of making money in stocks rise to roughly 75%.
  • Over an ordinary 12-month period, the chances of earning profits in stocks upward push to more or less 75 percent.
  • If you are within the marketplace for a protracted enough period, there is a 100 percent chance that you will revel in brief price declines at times.
  • “Fundamental discretionary traders” value for only 10% of the trading amount in stocks today. The other 90% is computer algorithms and robotic quantitative.

Investor Statistics

Despite clear economic benefits over traditional savings accounts, many Americans aren’t investing in the stock market. This can be a result of no longer enough capital or, for many Americans, merely a lack of knowledge.

If current reports are any indication, know-how the stock market is not many Americans’ strong suits. According to our investment literacy survey, nearly 1/2 of American citizens don’t even understand the primary financial markets, that’s important to understanding the marketplace as a whole. That same survey also confirmed that three-quarters of American citizens do not understand bonds — the least risky investment type.

Even among those who do make investments, 52 percent rebalance their stock portfolio greater than once per year, that can result in excessive fees and adverse tax consequences. Even more worrisome, 42 percent of investors do not know how their assets are allocated to their portfolios.

  • In 1998 60% of US Adults were spent in the Retirement Plans or Directly, stock market though Mutual Fund. 
  • In 2007 the whole of invested adults reached a high of 65%.
    Stock ownership before 2008 was 62%, but only 54% of Americans are invested now. 
  • Of Americans including money in the market, half have much less than $40,000 invested.
  • Among non-investors, 53 percent say they do not have the money to make investments and 21 percent say they do not trust financial advisors or stockbrokers.
  • 11& of Americans are funding in mutual funds. 
  • More adults in the US own homes than stocks. 
  • For 9 out of 10 houses, even a change in the value of 10 percentage — sufficient to fit as a “market correction” — might “at most, have a 1 or 2 percent effect on their wealth holdings.”
  • Foreign multinational moreover other investors have 35% of all US corporate stock, higher of 10% in 1982. That share of the pie beats the single part occupied by taxable American shareholders.
  • In 2017, during stock rights were taken into the record, heads at the 350 biggest U.S. corporations got an average of $18.9 million for their assistance — a nearly 18% improvement over the previous year, and 72%t since 2009. 
  • In 2017, when stock alternatives had been taken into account, chiefs at the 350 largest U.S. organizations obtained a mean of $18.9 million for their assistance — a nearly 18% improvement over the previous year and 72 percentage for the reason that 2009.

BY INCOME

  • The richest 10% of households controlled 84 percent of the entire value of stocks in 2016.

BY GENDER

  • On standard, women make investments more conservatively than men. Over the longer term, this could bring about lower returns and a higher risk of your assets no longer keeping tempo with inflation.

BY EDUCATION

All economists accept that foretelling stock values is difficult; however, handiest barely over half of (59 percent) of Americans agree with that assertion. Identifying how to make investments inside the stock market — or if you even ought to — may additionally seem like a challenge for maximum Americans, but the rewards can a long way outweigh the time it takes to put in a little research. While beginning early is excellent, it is in no way too slow to catch up on invest in a mutual fund or retirement. Taking the direction of your finances will help you sense greater empowered to make smarter choices along the way.